Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Steam Punk - I Tried to Resist but Now I'm All In!


I told myself I was not going to join another online swap until I got my 2013 FAL projects done.  But then Pillow Talk Swap 10 popped up and I just couldn't resist participating again.  I have always had a good experience with this wonderful swap.

Then I ran across the Steam Punk quilt along and the Flickr group established to encourage participation.  You can find the Flickr group started by GoneAussieQuilting Here.  It's not a swap and there's no requirement to make any specific number of blocks.  And, did I mention that I love this block?  It gives me the opportunity to use some of my most favorite fabrics and also to try working with a less vibrant color palette.  I jumped in!

I purchased the pattern and then I purchased a set of templates and a 28mm rotary cutter to make my life a little easier.  I love this block - oh, I already said that...

  
 
I pulled out my Japanese fabrics and, of course, bought some additional Japanese fabrics just because.  I also sorted through my fabrics for soft grey, brown and neutral background fabric - hard to find in my stash! 
These little beauties arrived in the mail last week.
 





Here is my first block:


The center circle will be hand appliqued on later.  Right now, I'm just focusing on the machine portion of the blocks.

I woke up about 4 a.m. this morning and wandered into my sewing room just to have a little look-see at the next block (do you ever do that?)  I had made a choice of fabrics the night before but went to bed before I did any cutting.  I sat down and started cutting out the pieces. After an hour I decided I had better go back to bed or give up sleeping completely.  I opted for going back to bed!

I should be able to get block 2 completed tonight and perhaps block 3.  I'm getting faster at the cutting and sewing aspects and I've lined up 4-5 fabric combos for additional blocks.  Now it's about production!

Maybe you should jump into this quilt along and join in the fun.

Aaaaanyway, that's it from the Robertson household.




3 comments:

  1. You need to not get up at 4 am. These blocks have been popping up everywhere, they are great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh lovely. I've been resisting too, but my will is getting weaker....

    ReplyDelete