Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I'm At It Again!

Do you ever get bursts of mad creativity resulting in all kinds of sewing energy and there's nothing you can do but give into the flow and sew, sew, sew?  I'm having one of those bursts right now.  I put together a Mod Mosaic scrap quilt top and quilted it (yep, those of you who know me personally will gasp in awe and amazement that I ventured beyond quilting by checkbook for a second time!)  And I put together my string block quilt top and pieced a back for it and will also quilt that...

You want proof you say?  Here you go:  exhibit A on my kitchen floor.  Gotta love that spray baste stuff. 



And, I jumped into a new quilt top.  I was looking at my favorite blogs and saw this tutorial by Katie from the Blue Chair Wonky Log Cabin.  One minute I was thinking about how cute the Wonky Log Cabin quilt was and the next minute I had a pile of fabric on my work table, in the colors of Spring and Easter and all things scrappy.  The blocks are made in 4s (4 pieces of fabric cut up at a time and then the fabrics are mixed up within those 4 blocks.  I decided that I would not repeat fabric from one set of 4 blocks to the next, so my initial pull had to be followed by rooting and rummaging for more fabrics.  The blocks will be 12" finished and I will make 30 of them for a 5 x 6 layout or 42 if I want to go the next size up.  Not sure I can stick with the "no repeat of fabric" if I go to 42 blocks.  We'll see what happens!

I have to say it's really fun to root around in my stash and pull out fun fabrics.  No need to shop for fabrics.  I'm making a small dent in the stash and creating something fun and in the happiest of color combinations. 

Here are a few photos of my progress:









I hope you get a sense of the quilt that is being borne here - more to come as I complete the blocks and add even more colors to the spring mix.

Aaaaanyway, that's it from the Robertson household.





12 comments:

  1. That's a HUGE burst - how exciting to have such energy and focus. Love the new projects and congrats on tackling quilting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - if only work would not get in the way of creativity!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. Just need to attach the binding on the mosaic quilt and I'm up to 20 blocks in the Wonky Log cabin quilt - 15 more to go!

      Delete
  3. the colors of the mod mosaic are so happy and cheerful. I really get inspired when I look at your work! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaye. I feel that way about your work!

      Delete
  4. I love the coors of the cabin quilt!! Fresh but not 'typically' easter-y or spring-y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It's a little wild but I'm pushing on to see what I get in the end!

      Delete
  5. Yay for sewing those swap blocks into a top! Have you ventured into FMQ, or are you going to do straight line quilting?

    Love the fabric pull for the wonky log cabin quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No FMQ for me yet. I ended up with rectangles on this baby. Still haven't put the binding on it yet, but soon...very soon.

      Delete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a grandmother, a lawyer, a quilter, a cook and the human companion of Boo, the labradoodle. I am also a collector/hoarder and ultimate consumer of fabric. Can't resist touching and/or buying it! I also love sharing every day with my doodle. Please look at my work and let me know what you think. I plan to share my thoughts and experiences with you and hope you will do the same. Boo sends his tail wagging greetings to all. If you meet him, you will know exactly what I mean!