Thursday, March 21, 2013

Whoa Nellie! I'm Awash with Wonky Blocks

I have been steadily working on the Stack and Whack Wonky Log Cabin blocks that I wrote about recently.  I found the tutorial on Katie from the Blue Chair's blog Here.  Loved it the moment I saw it and decided to use up some of my stash to make a cheery, springy, easter"y" quilt. The fabric is not traditional Easter fabric and is much larger scale than the prints that Katie chose.  I gravitate towards strong colors and prints, so my stash does not have much in the way of pastels or smaller scale prints.  This top was a great way to use some of my stash.  No shortage of purples, oranges, or greens in my cabinets!


 
I ran out of room on my design wall and had to overlap the top row just so I could place the blocks. I need 2 more blocks to complete the top row, which I will make tonight. The top will be 60" by 72" if I stop now, which isn't really big enough for a bed. One more row would bring me to 60" by 84" which is more usable I suppose. What do you think? Should I make it a little bigger or stop where I am?
 
Curious minds want to know:  What's on your design wall this week?
 
Speaking of Spring, a little rain storm blew in and brought us a windy afternoon and 70 degree temperatures.  So, what did I do when I got home?  I arranged all of my blocks on the design wall.  Then I thought it was kind of warm, so I opened the window in my sewing room.  What the heck?  I looked like Lucille Ball in one of her classic crazy situations as first one block and then another and then a third, fourth, fifth blew off the design wall.  I tried to pick them up and put them back before I lost track of where they should be...still without closing the window.  Just before total disaster struck it occurred to me to close the window and stop the madness!  Whew - I'm not sure I got them all back in their original places, but they are now at least pinned and ready for a final sorting when I have all the blocks done. 
 
Other projects are on hold.  Still  haven't gotten the binding on the Mod Mosaic quilt - I will do it this weekend and have a finished quilt for my grandkids to use while they are here for Easter.  And I better get the border on my ABC quilt if it's going to get into the San Mateo County Fair group quilt exhibit.  About 5 of us from the Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild made traditional blocks with modern fabric using the letters of the alphabet as a block of the month type project.  We have agreed that we are going to submit all of the quilts to the SMCF quilt show, if they will have us.  I'd better get a move on it!
 
Aaaaanyway, that's it from the Robertson household. 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I love what you've got going here! This is gonna be awesome.

    Sheetal passed her round robin start over to me with a fresh infusion of fabric and that is up on my design wall. I have the kernel of an idea and I'm excited to get to it after I clean up the mess that is on my sewing table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen, the quilt looks fabulous. I really like making that smaller size....I find the lap quilts so user friendly. Your weather sounds much better than ours, we're in the middle of a huge snow storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The image of you/Lucy makes me giggle. I love the colors and blocks! I have several irons in the fire, and need to concentrate on one at a time to get anything done! Smallest project first: a tote bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am counting on you to get your A-B-C Challenge DONE!!! Get to work! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to worry about the deadline, but I'm somehow going to get it finished!

      Delete
  5. Here is what is on my design wall: http://artquiltmaker.com/blog/2013/04/whats-on-your-design-wall/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck getting your A_B_C quilt done in time for the fair! Love the bright cheery colors of your wonky log cabin blocks- very modern take on spring colors :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a grandmother, a lawyer, a quilter, a cook and the human companion of Boo, the labradoodle. I am also a collector/hoarder and ultimate consumer of fabric. Can't resist touching and/or buying it! I also love sharing every day with my doodle. Please look at my work and let me know what you think. I plan to share my thoughts and experiences with you and hope you will do the same. Boo sends his tail wagging greetings to all. If you meet him, you will know exactly what I mean!