Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pillow Talk Swap Round 7 and Springing Forward

So, did you spring forward Saturday night and wake up Sunday missing an hour of sleep?  I set all of my clocks before I went to bed Saturday night so I would be prepared for the change in time.  I don't know why springing forward bothers me so much, but I suppose it has to do with waking up an hour earlier this morning and knowing that it's going to get earlier and earlier.  I have drapes on my bedroom sliding glass door, but I don't usually have to shut them because of the shoji screens that surround the deck off of my bedroom which give me privacy without closing the drapes.  But there is nothing I can do about the light.  I suppose I can close the drapes, but that just goes against my grain.  Hmmmm.  I guess I'll have to find a happy compromise with myself at some point!

Now on to a more interesting topic, I have completed my pillow top for the Pillow Top Swap Round 7. This is my first participation in the swap. I am not that confident in my pillow making, so I spent alot of time worrying about this pillow.  I tried to make a pillow that I thought my partner would really enjoy. Here it is:




The color in the photos is not very true - the background fabric in the print is very green and goes nicely with the chartreuse and aqua of the other fabrics in the pillow. For some reason, my camera does not see the colors in the way that they exist in reality.  It's a 16" pillow and I used a traditional pattern called "Spinner".  You can find the pattern in Judy Hopkins 501 Rotary Cut Quilt Blocks book on page 232.  I didn't do anything facy to the back, so I made a point of lining up the print fabric on the back of the pillow to make its own statement.  

I was a little worried about the big button I placed in the center of the pillow.  I thought that it was too retro, to the point of being old fashioned, but it has been well received, so it will stay on the pillow and the pillow will go to its home far, far away. Something to be said for trusting your own instincts, huh?

I have enjoyed being in this swap and have been very impressed by the creativity of the swap members.  I look forward to another round.

Aaaaanyway, that's it from the Robertson househould. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a grandmother, a lawyer, a quilter, a cook and the human companion of Boo, the labradoodle. I am also a collector/hoarder and ultimate consumer of fabric. Can't resist touching and/or buying it! I also love sharing every day with my doodle. Please look at my work and let me know what you think. I plan to share my thoughts and experiences with you and hope you will do the same. Boo sends his tail wagging greetings to all. If you meet him, you will know exactly what I mean!