Sunday, March 18, 2012

Rain, rain, go away!

I hope your weekend has been relaxing and that you are not experiencing the weather that we are having here in the Bay Area.  Lots and lots of rain, cold weather, lots and lots of wind...in a nutshell, winter has arrived in the Bay Area.  We are getting much needed rain and snow in the mountains and foothills.  I'm not complaining, mind you - it was a pleasure to stay home, stay inside and work on my projects. 

I got up early each morning and spent most of each day working on my Joel Dewberry Modern Meadow Sampler quilt.  I had to make a decision about whether to sash or not to sash, and then when I decided not to sash, I had to decide about the binding.  Then I put it all together. 

Initially, I made the inner border much too wide.  Luckily, I was trying out the next 2 borders on my design wall and left it all hanging there Saturday night.  I kept going back and looking at it and trying to figure out why I didn't like what I had done (unfortunately, I put the inner border on the entire quilt and had already constructed 2 of the 4 other borders, but had only pinned them up.

By this morning, I knew that I had to change the innermost border and narrow it.  Now that it is done, I am pleased with the overall look.  Here it is:


This quilt top is one of 3 sampler quilts that I am currently working on - I guess this is my year of samplers! (One is this quilt, one is the ABC Quilt-Along for the Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild, and last are the blocks that I am making and receiving in the 4x5 Bee).

These Joel Dewbery blocks came about because of my particpation in the Twice As Nice Bee and when it was my month, I asked the bee members to make traditional blocks of their choice in my fabric., which was Joel Dewberry Modern Meadow.  I then added some non-traditional blocks/wonky blocks that I made to expand the block pool and get up to the 30 blocks that I wanted for this quilt. Now that I like the borders, I think this top is ready to go on to quilting.  That's another problem!

I hope that you have had a productive weekend and are ready for a new week.
Spring is just around the corner!  Maybe summer is right on its tails.

Aaaaanyway, that's all from the Robertson household.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a grandmother, a lawyer, a quilter, a cook and the human companion of Boo, the labradoodle. I am also a collector/hoarder and ultimate consumer of fabric. Can't resist touching and/or buying it! I also love sharing every day with my doodle. Please look at my work and let me know what you think. I plan to share my thoughts and experiences with you and hope you will do the same. Boo sends his tail wagging greetings to all. If you meet him, you will know exactly what I mean!