Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gardening and WIP Wednesday

Rainy, rainy Wednesday.  And more rain to come.  Not really complaining, just commenting.  We do need rain (or snow in the high country).  For some reason, I keep thinking that I should be doing something in the garden, but I can't because it's still too cold and too wet...but I have this feeling every day that I should be out there.  Some years, I would already have tomato plants in the ground and growing like weeds (I guess that's the dry years).  I've been thinking that, at least, I should get some herbs in the ground.  Parsley and sage, oregano and thyme overwinter well here, but basil drops over as soon as it gets a little too cold.  I'm afraid to put it out yet, as we're still a little chilly at night. I did put a few bib lettuce and arugula plants in a big pot on the deck and they both seem happy.  I'll get a small harvest by the weekend. 

I've been a little distracted and not getting much sewing done this last week.  I went  up to my home in Gold Country for the weekend and came away rather overwhelmed with all the outside work that needs to be done.  This time of year, I need to spend a fair number of weekends up there, getting the pasture grass mowed and picking up all the latest downed limbs and checking the fences that need to be replaced.  And a new water heater - not a replacement, but a second one?  I get all these great ideas and they all cost money! 

A friend and her family are at the house now, spending a little time in the foothills.  They spent some time camping before coming over to Soulsbyville to my little place.  Makes me happy to know that others are enjoying what I know and love.  I do believe it's just about time for another mini-retreat at my house.  Perhaps May? 

Now on to the work in progress: 

I completed my 4x5 Q1 Hive 11 blocks today.  This is a very popular Bee where Hives are created with 6 members each quarter.  You decide what block you want to make and you then make your block in each of the hive members colors.  Ultimately, you will end up with a sampler of blocks made by you and your various hive members, in your colors. 

This is my test block, made in my colors.  The block is Whirling Star by Faith at Fresh Lemons (part of her Solistice Star Series).  Faith has made paper piecing very easy with this block and I am glad that I chose it.

 Next came Anna's block:

This is Christine's block:

Leona's block (for her son to take with him to college):

Tina's block:

And Amy's block for her first child, a boy:

These blocks will go out in the mail tomorrow to destinations in the US and UK.  So amazing to virtually meet and share with other sewists all over the globe.


I am also working on my Liberated Round Robin project.  It is time for round 2 and I'm gathering up my strips and crumbs to make my own fabric which will ultimately become my round 2.  By next week I'll have something to show.  Right now it's the same round 1 block I had last week:




The one thing that I seem to be very good at - can find time for almost every day, is looking at fabric and then...buying fabric.  I have developed a serious fabric hoarding mentality.  It doesn't seem to matter how much fabric piles up in my sewing room, I order more.  Do you do this?  Purchasing fabric that I just love (I don't need it but I love it).  And then I put it in a cabinet and hope to "get to it"  or worse, don't want to cut into it because it's so special.   Do you do this?  Please, tell all.  I don't want to be the only one who is hoarding fabric.  I'm going to have to live to a very old age just to get through the fabric I have today - and another order is coming later this week. 

O.K.  I can stop buying fabric.  I'll just take a deep breath and close my eyes when I see new fabric lines that I just have to have.  Or I can sew faster and faster so that I can justify purchasing more fabric.  Maybe that's the solution...

Well, you see the delusional state that I am in.  Hope you are enjoying your Wednesday and look forward to hearing from you.

Aaanyway, that's it from the Robertson household. 




2 comments:

  1. Fabulous blocks! I love the fabrics and the way you put them together. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a grandmother, a lawyer, a quilter, a cook and the human companion of Boo, the labradoodle. I am also a collector/hoarder and ultimate consumer of fabric. Can't resist touching and/or buying it! I also love sharing every day with my doodle. Please look at my work and let me know what you think. I plan to share my thoughts and experiences with you and hope you will do the same. Boo sends his tail wagging greetings to all. If you meet him, you will know exactly what I mean!